In raising teenage girls, there is SO much to talk about. Today I want to address the lies that girls are bombarded with daily. Lies that tell them they aren’t good enough, they aren’t wanted, they aren’t lovely and they aren’t special. In order to combat those lies, we must arm our girls with truths that will be able to truly help them. The apostle Paul instructs believers in Christ to take our thoughts captive; that means we need to pay attention to the thoughts going through our minds, we need to ‘trap’ our thoughts so to speak and examine whether they are true or not. Then, Paul teaches that we need to renew our minds with truth. The Word of God is full of precious truths that can replace these lies! Here are some verses to share with your daughter when she is believing the lies of this world:
– You DO measure up! = Romans 8:1 Therefore, there is now no condemnation of those who are in Christ Jesus.
– You are chosen and adored by God. = John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
– Find your strength in God. = Psalm 4:3 The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge.
– Your needs are met through Christ alone. = Phil 4:19 And my God shall supply all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus.
– God will listen to you. = Hebrews 4:15-16 Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.
– You have been wronged by your friends, but let God take care of it. = Romans 12:19 Do not take revenge, my dear friends, but leave room for God’s wrath, for it is written: “It is mine to avenge; I will repay,” says the Lord.
– Do good today. = Romans 12:17-18 Do not repay evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right i the eyes of everyone. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.
– Others’ opinions do not define you! God’s opinion is what counts and He thinks you are AMAZING! = 1 Peter 2:9-10 You are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession.
– School can be threatening, and you can feel out of control. God is ultimately in control of all things. = 1 Chronicles 16:11 Look to the Lord and his strength; seek his face always.
– Whatever your need is for today, God already has you covered. = Philippians 4:29 And my God shall meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus.
– It’s a hard week for you, remember to find your strength in Christ. = 2 Corinthians 12:9-10 My grace is sufficient for you , my power is made perfect in weakness. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
– Life isn’t always fair, find your peace in God = John 16:33 “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”
– You are deeply loved. = Romans 5:8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
– You are special! = Ephesians 1:3-6 For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless his sight. In love he predestined us for adoption to sonship through Jesus Christ.
Write one of these on your daughter’s bathroom mirror or copy it out and stick it on the dashboard of her car. You could even choose a verse from the list above and memorize it with your daughter. Show her that you are on this journey with her and you want to come alongside and be her biggest cheerleader.